Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Girl: Season 1

                It’s not that “New Girl” isn’t funny… Wait, no, it isn’t really funny to me. 

                When I first watched the pilot episode, I couldn’t help but think how awful “New Girl” is.  I wondered why it had such a following and multiple seasons.   Did people really find this funny?  Am I losing my touch or what?   Perhaps it comes down to one of those “Am I just getting slower or are you just talking faster” ideas.

                “New Girl” follows the story of Zooey Deschanel, who basically finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, so she moves out and has to find a new place, so she ends up living with three guys.   Her character has this off beat, sort of what you might call the quirky form of comedy, only it is painfully unfunny.

                I was trying to explain to my wife what I didn’t like about this show.   It’s not that the timing is off or the acting is bad, it’s just a combination of everything that makes this one incredibly terrible television cliché that, bottom line, is not funny.

                I was hoping that after the pilot it may have found its groove and decided to pick up more of a rhythm.   It did not.    Losing Damon Wayans Jr. was a major blow and, well, nothing about this show hasn’t been done before only those who did it first did it better.

                I understand what Zooey Deschanel is trying to do with this character: somewhere between some of her movie roles and maybe Liz Lemon, but it is simply not working. 


                Stick with movies because “Yes Man” was right on.

No comments:

Post a Comment